GARDEN DIARY: WEEK FIVE


This was the week in which we had to surrender. And by we, I mean me, because I like to be in charge of everything! 

Most of this week we moved the bricks that were used as flooring for the wooden greenhouse. Digging bricks out of the ground is as fun as it sounds. Which is no fun at all. By Thursday my stomach started to get so firm I was convinced it was flatter than the day before, and, by the end of this, I would have the figure of Texan bodybuilder. To say all this manual labour is what I signed up for would be a great big lie. 

I am aware that gardening would entail heavy lifting and DIY to set the garden up. I know it is a physical job. But the garden had descended into a building site and we had stopped any form of gardening. I can - and have - cut down brambles all day, but it was all getting a bit much when I was still finding panels of glass buried in the ground and planning to buy a litter picker. I think I cried more than twice this week. Luckily, we found a land clearer online, and the bulk of the rubbish has been taken. A local scrappy was let loose in the garden, and that eased a lot of the rubbish. Although he managed to shatter two large panes of glass everywhere. This was one of the times I cried. 

The weather hasn't been on our side much this week. Neither have the spiders. I have had them crawling all over me as I disrupted their brick homes. We have one more day of the land clearers and then it's back to moving the bricks (which we are keeping) and then hiring the rotivator. The weeds have rebounded with an abundance and I can't wait to tackle them. 

I didn't take many pictures this week. There isn't a lot to look at right now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment