WEEKLY FOOD DISCOVERIES


I feel as though I have been slacking in writing as of late. I made a promise to myself that I would write and post here once a week. Work has been an even more of an auto-pilot induced state than normal, and the inner politics there grow ever more tiresome. I find myself coming home and throwing together something in the kitchen, and then zoning out in front of the television for the night.

During my weeknight Netflix browsing, I came across a film that really started it all for me: Julie & Julia. Back in 2012 I was a student and facing a long summer of work and not much else. I had one holiday at the end of it, but for the most part, I needed a challenge, so I started blogging. I quickly ordered the book of the same name and became obsessed with blogging. Years later, I would finally read Julia Child's My Life in France and devoured the stories of her steely determination to succeed in the food world. She had discovered her passion later on in her life and dedicated years to writing Mastering the Art of French Cooking. One thing that Julia Child had in abundance was time. Her days were spent learning her craft at Le Corden Bleu and hosting dinner parties at her home. She spent her time writing, testing recipes and then writing and testing them again and again. I envy the time she had. I envy it greatly.

A day where I don't create in the kitchen, or discover some new-to-me ingredient is a day wasted. I felt that the last week to me was wasted, until today. Earlier on a supermarket trip, I finally purchased a bulb of black garlic and discovered goat cheese camembert (!) I had dabbled with black garlic before, in the form of a balsamic, but goat cheese camembert was entirely new to me. Not only did this cheese blow my mind, it just reminded me to stay curious about food. The black garlic was whizzed up into pesto, slathered on sourdough with roast chicken, and also added to a bolognese.

For me, that is certainly not a day wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment