I LOVE CHEESE. NOW IT'S TIME TO LEARN ABOUT IT


If you happen to be reading this and you also know me, then you would know that I love cheese. It is a love affair that started many years ago. Sure, I would eat any cheese or any flavour and simply enjoy it. What I didn't do was pay attention to what I was eating, and oftentimes it was supermarket cheese, with occasional Snowdonia thrown in.

In recent years I have become more aware of what I am buying and where I am buying it from. Don't get me wrong here, you can buy some cracking cheeses from the supermarkets, (hello Aldi's Vintage Red Fox) but I was never really paying attention to what I was actually eating. What I mean by this is where the cheese was produced, how it was produced and who made it. The history of British cheeses is one I am learning about now, via this book by Ned Palmer, and I'm considering a cheesemonger course to get me started. Even if nothing comes from it, at least I will be a badass at assembling a cheese board.

From the book, I am eager to try the cheeses that are mentioned. So far I have managed to get my hands on the delightful Gorwydd Caerphilly and the outstanding Cashel Blue. Having learned the history of these cheeses, I can better understand the process it took to gain every flavourful bite.

I still have plenty to learn and I am prepared to truly immerse myself in all things cheese. I am taking notes and eating plenty of cheese along the way!

(The above photo is of The Cheeseworks, Cheltenham, a retailer of the Cashel Blue)


No comments:

Post a Comment