BACK TO BASICS


When I gave up my old blog, I thought that I was done. I had no time and no motivation to do it anymore. Then, every now and again, I would get a burst of creative energy and this urge to write about it. This urge to write, however, has never gone away. My need to learn, share and express my ideas continuously burned away, as I navigated my best version of 'adulting'.

You see, I got myself a management job, working five days a week, going to meetings and generally trying to act like I knew what I was doing, all the while dialing down who I really am. Learning the art of office politics was never my jam, and never will be. I had been fairly lucky that many of my previous jobs, including those that were office-based, were flexible, and allowed me that holy grail of the modern world: balance.

Fast-forward a few years, I've settled down a lot more. My other half and I are on the verge of the house-buying process, I have a great circle of friends, a stable job and no debt. But I cannot shake this feeling that something is missing. I miss that feeling of working on something that I am passionate about. Getting up each day with a purpose-filled mission to create. Alas, suit on, off to work I go. 

I love food and drink, (alcoholic and non-alcoholic, of course!) and am forever curious about new tastes and concepts. Recently I have found myself stuck in a rut, one that would be familiar with many of you. I finish work, get home, cook and eat dinner and then watch TV. Before I know it it's bedtime and time to do it all over again the next day. Sure, I have friends and social life, but I'm a normal person who likes to go home after work.

The dark and wet nights make hibernation all the more tempting, but going to work every day happens rain or shine. I needed to give myself the motivation to set myself a challenge and re-engage my culinary pursuits and curiosity. I started the ball rolling back in November when I approached a friend about working on her ice cream stall in Riverside Market. I had been thinking that I'd maybe I could start a food business but didn't know what. I figured the market was a start and that I would enjoy it, and I did. 

I knew there was something there that I could write about. I started to read up on courses I could take to expand my knowledge. Then I thought more about writing. How could move this idea along and give me some accountability? Then I thought of all the designing, picture editing and time it took to run my old blog and decided to just keep it simple. No fancy layouts. No hours spent programming posts on Tweetdeck and planning content. I write when I want. Maybe I will sort a logo out. Until then, I am in no rush. 

On my old blog, I was fascinated by people who start something from nothing. Why did they do it? What drove them each day? 

These are the questions I need to start asking myself. 






No comments:

Post a Comment